Why I Love Art | Reasons for Being an Artist

I woke up in a euphoric state this morn!  I'm fairly sure cipher special happened while I was sleeping…it must accept been yesterday'southward mean solar day of art making.

This morning started with a bowl of cereal and a positive feeling like no other.  Some Cheerios and almond milk did the trick.  Maybe the fact that spring is underway.  I could just brand out birds as they brainstorm to celebrate the pass up of winter.  Perchance the nonetheless cold, wintery air was a fraction cleaner.  I had my normal amount of sleep last nighttime ( almost 7 ½ hours) but I feel so adept today!  Why?

My Solar day of Art

Yesterday I reserved my entire day for fine art making.  I created a program, and got immersed in my creative endeavors for an entire day with admittedly no distractions!  Even my married woman had plans to exist out of the house all day until bedtime.   This was to be no regular day.  Information technology was a day in which I had drawn upwardly plans for what needed to be done.  I had an artistic to do listing that was completely achievable but would require an entire twenty-four hours's work to accomplish.

I'grand an oil painter so my procedure of creating artworks have a rather lengthy process.  The procedure involves conceiving paintings, setting up all the same lifes, working out drawings, preparing canvases, painting, varnishing paintings and framing.  Come to think of information technology…man I work hard at my fine art!

Psyching Myself Upwards

Yesterday was perfect.  The evening before, I cleaned up my studio infinite and created an outline of all the things I would try to get to.  I made the list extra long, just-in-instance and fabricated a hope to myself not to worry if I didn't accomplish all of the creative tasks on the listing.  In fact, I purposefully made the list slightly long so I knew there was no mode to achieve it all.  I didn't want whatsoever not-creative idle fourth dimension on my hands.

The Art Studio

I was in my artistic space transferring a drawing to sail by 8 am.  Throughout the day I ended up stretching 3 canvases, composing a new cartoon and completing the under-paintings for ii paintings!  Virtually of the day was spent in silence.  I don't listen silence and have a hard time contemplating why people always need "background racket".

Silence is not intimidating at all, simply a uncomplicated reminder to alive absolutely in the moment and give my current task perfect, unwavering attention.

I worked on my artwork all day until 10pm last nighttime.  I took 2 breaks.  One was to encounter a friend for lunch and  to walk Henry (our dog).  This interruption lasted just under 2 hours considering Henry and I enjoyed a 2 mile walk.  My second break from art-making was a 15 infinitesimal dinner intermission.  Honestly I couldn't expect to go dorsum to my paintings!  Information technology'due south all I thought almost during my reheated vegetarian chili my married woman cooked the night before.  It was succulent past the way!

Art Is Work

Don't go me incorrect.  I was on no vacation yesterday.  I worked my tail off.  After looking at the clock I now realize I worked on artwork for 12 solid hours.  I could have gone even longer but I had to get upwardly early the adjacent day and so I really had to brand myself quit at 10 pm and force myself to become to bed.

If I was working really hard and committed to and extremely long work day, why the heck did I feel so great today?  I doubtable it has a lot to do with achieving a state of catamenia equally Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi describes it.

Sometimes nosotros refer to it as "existence in the zone".  Zones or Flow? Man I was there yesterday and rode that moving ridge all day long.  Mihaly is a psychologist know for his lifelong study of inventiveness.   While his proper name is about impossible to spell his advice seems clear: You can live a happy life though your daily immersion in something artistic.

Creation vs. Consumption

I'one thousand totally with you Mihaly.  I have come to find out that I am definitely happier creating things as opposed to consuming other'due south creations.  I have found this to be truthful in all aspects of life with exception to food 😉  Although I don't have the burning want to become creative in the kitchen all the time it is something I'm certainly not opposed to.

My preference to create became evident equally a child.  I choose playing sports over watching them and oft preferred edifice with my Legos over watching television.  Now if I tin only turn my creations into a healthy salary I think I will have found the underground door to my life's own paradise!  Right now I practice earn a fairly skillful clamper of modify through my creative endeavors but it'due south non quite enough to quit my day chore.

Would y'all merchandise in your day task for a gamble to work full-time as an artist even though you may have to work x hours a day, 6 days a calendar week at it?  Subsequently waking upwardly this morning time with a clean slate and a rejuvenated spirit I'grand tempted to say "yes".

What do you think?